Thursday, November 8, 2012

Making a Floor Lamp out of a Table Lamp

Before...
After
This was a crazy idea!  Hobby Lobby had lamps on clearance -- such a great deal that I decided it was time to update my lamps in my front room.  But the configuration in that room required a floor lamp.  I tried to put a small table there, but it just didn't do it!  So I turned to the internet to see if there were instructions on how to modify a lamp this way.

I found a nice little explanation in a blog photo post by Laure Joliet.  It looks like she got it elsewhere, so I'm not sure I'm giving the original source the proper credit here.  Find it here:  How to Rewire a Thrift Store Lamp

I printed the color photo instructions out, bought a lamp extension kit at my hardware store, and got out my electrical wiring tools.
Being the crazy fearless nut that I am, I got busy and took the lamp apart.  I removed the small pipe that rested on the top of the lamp and bought the same size pipe in the length that I wanted.  I sprayed a pipe the same color as the lamp base.  Note that it took two different colors to get the same look as the original lamp.  I then pulled the wire up from the base to the proper length, put the lamp extension kit pieces together over the wire.  I then put the newly painted pipe in place, and wired it to the new length.  The results are just what I wanted.  Only problem, the lamp base is not as heavy as a manufactured floor lamp, so it falls over sometimes.  Looking for a solution to that problem next...  Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment