Thursday, June 14, 2012

Sundress Conversion to a Skirt

I've been converting sundresses into skirts all Spring as I've anticipated another hot summer.  I don't like to wear sundresses because I like my shoulders and my knees covered!  Today I took photos of how I do it to share on the blog.  Here's the dress I bought at a thrift store yesterday.  I bought a sun dress several sizes larger than I wear, since the waist of this dress will be at my hip when I'm finished.  This particular sundress has a bias-gathered waistband, which gave me extra fabric with which to work to add to the length.  It was a cotton/poly blend.  After washing it, I began work. 
Left:  Before- Sundress              Right:  After- cute skirt!

First I cut the side seams from the top of the bodice to about half way down the skirt.  In one of the side seams, a zipper was in place.  Cutting out the side seams removed the zipper.  I can reuse it in something else.


I then cut off the bodice at the seam. 


I cut off the lining on the back side of the waistband too.   Be careful not to catch the waistband fabric in the scissors while cutting off the seam. 

I ironed the waistband flat, removing the creases resulting from the original gathers.  I pinned the sides back together and stitched them, easing into the existing seam on the skirt.  I Serged the seam to clean it up.

I ironed the top of the waistband 1/4", then folded it over and pinned it all the way around just larger than my elastic.  So the casing is about 1" and my elastic is 3/4."

After stitching the waistband seam, I threaded some elastic into the casing.  I left a 2" gap in the casing seam at one of the side seams to use as an opening for the elastic.  

After threading all of the elastic through, I stitched the edges together and closed up the casing.  I ironed the side seams flat and tried it on.  It fits great and reaches just to the right length on my legs.  My $2.50 sundress and an hour of time gave me a really cute and versatile skirt.

Cute skirt after

Some things to remember when you do this conversion:

  • Choose a sundress that is several sizes larger than you would normally wear.  Try it on to see if the waist will fit comfortably around your hips. 
  • Cotton or Cotton blends work well.  Thin or slippery fabrics would also work but be harder to work with. 
  • Cut the elastic to the size of your waist without stretching it.  Then you can stitch it together at a comfortable snug fit when you insert it into the waistband.  If you have any excess, don't cut it off, just leave it in the casing  in the event you need extra elastic in the skirt later.
  • Iron between sewing seams to keep the seams flat and the garment looking sharp.  If you have a serger, tidy up the seams by serging them after seaming.  
  • To know front from back, consider sewing the original labels back into the garment at the waistband back.  

No comments:

Post a Comment