Monday, October 21, 2013

Kid Sized Knit Experimental Sweaters

It's always fun to try new things and once I learned how to make simple sweaters, I wanted to try them all.  Here are some examples of fun knitting stitches to try, and kid sized sweaters go fast.  Plus, if your child is small enough and not balky, he will WEAR your hard work!

 I made this fair isle sweater vest for my daughter.  It was a good place to learn that technique.  It's not a relaxing way to knit but it produces lovely results. 
 This was my first knit sweater from a pattern.  Everything was knit flat and sewn together, then the button band was knit on last.  This success gave me the courage to try harder things.
Here is the same pattern but I added cable stitches to every piece.  I looked them up online and made a grid so I'd be able to design it myself.  I love how it turned out.  All of my sons wore this sweater.  Very traditional in color and design, it looked great on a cold Sunday morning at church.
 Here's the back of the sweater-- the complicated cable in the center was especially intriguing. 
This sweater had stripes of pink that are a particular 'holey' stitch.  I found them in a pattern, and had trouble translating the symbols into what I saw in the photo.  As I was struggling with it, my expert knitting friend Lori reminded me that as long as what I did was consistent, there was no right or wrong.  So I plunged ahead and made this up with my imperfect attempt at that holey stitch in pink.  I think it turned out great.  My daughter loved this sweater and wore it often. 

Have fun trying new things.  Make the pattern pieces the right size and keep consistent in your stitches and it will turn out great!

No comments:

Post a Comment